Cessnock police news: week ending February 12, 2017

Man issued infringement for burning rubbish

Police attended a Cessnock residence on Sunday in relation to a fire burning in the front yard of the premises.

A total fire ban had been issued for the area due to catastrophic fire alert level at the time.

A man at the residence told police that he was burning off rubbish. Police informed the man this was an offence and also of further offences associated with open flames during periods of total fire bans.

NSW Fire Brigade attended the location and extinguished the fire. The man was issued an infringement notice for burning rubbish without a permit.

Collision at Neath

Police were patrolling the Neath area on Sunday when they observed a motorcycle travelling towards them on Cessnock Road.

On approach police observed a male rider controlling the bike with a female pillion passenger behind him, and the female was allegedly not wearing a helmet.

Police said the motorcycle conducted a U-turn and then collided with an oncoming vehicle.

Both the rider and passenger were thrown from the motorcycle. The female was conveyed to hospital with head injuries.

The male was arrested at the scene and conveyed to Cessnock Police Station where he was charged with traffic and prohibited drug offences. He will appear in Cessnock Local Court in March.

Man charged with drug possession

Police patrolling the Cessnock area on Saturday had cause to speak to a 47-year-old man.

On speaking with the man, police observed a small shiny object in his hand and submitted him to a person search.

Police allegedly located a small foil package on the man, containing a prohibited drug which the man admitted was cannabis.

The drugs were seized and the man was issued a Field Court Attendance Notice to appear in Cessnock Local Court next month.

Driving while disqualified

Police patrolling Sawyers Gully on Wednesday observed a vehicle travelling southbound.

Police were alerted that the vehicle’s registration had expired in December 2016 and as such stopped the vehicle to speak with the driver.

On speaking with male driver it was established he was disqualified from driving until 2034.

He was issued a Field Court Attendance Notice for traffic offences and will appear before Kurri Kurri Local Court next month.​