Hunter Valley wine country is set to be inundated with record numbers of Asian visitors this week, with the inaugural Hunter Valley Moon Festival to be held from September 15 to 18.
Advance Cessnock City (a partnership between Cessnock City Council, local chambers of commerce and key business leaders across the region) is preparing businesses for the opportunity to service these visitors.
Council’s economic development manager Jane Holdsworth says it’s important in this economic climate for all businesses to get “China-ready”.
“The Chinese market represents a fantastic opportunity. We must all embrace and tap into these opportunities strategically as there is money to be made,” Ms Holdsworth said.
Some of the advice Advance Cessnock City offers on its website includes:
- Give authentic, friendly, fast and responsive service.
- Stand and remain standing during introductions, and mirror the greeting and farewell of your Chinese visitor.
- Gestures make communication easy when language is a barrier. Smiling, nodding for yes, thumbs up or down are all understood. Avoid snapping your fingers, whistling or pointing at your Chinese visitor with the index finger.
- Respect, some formality and a good attitude are important – always use title and surname when addressing Chinese visitors.
- Always show respect and address the person of highest rank in a Chinese group. This may not be the translator of the group so be careful with your attentions.
- Forming a queue is not Chinese custom, be prepared if the situation calls to them to wait, to politely ask or gesture your Chinese visitors to form a line, where possible provide chairs and communicate how long they need to wait.
More tips for tourism businesses, restaurants, accommodation and wineries can be found at advancecessnockcity.com.au.
The Moon Festival will be held across seven venues – Crowne Plaza, Peterson House, King Horse Wines, Drayton’s Family Wines, Hunter Valley Zoo, Vineyard Hill Resort and Hope Estate.
Tickets are available at the Hunter Valley Visitor Centre.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.