Cessnock boxer Troy O'Meley dominates in sixth professional bout

Cessnock boxer Troy O’Meley has taken his professional record to 6-0, after dominating experienced opponent Luke Howlett in Saturday night’s Detonation 11 event at Newcastle Exhibition and Convention Centre. 

O’Meley’s dominance was reflected in a unanimous points decision by judges, with the Cessnock slugger winning every round. 

According to O’Meley, maintaining his unbeaten professional record was a highlight of the night. 

“It’s awesome, it doesn’t feel like long ago I turned pro, so to be 6-0 is great,” he said. 

O’Meley said Howlett, who has an extensive amateur record but is yet to win a professional bout in four outings, was a testing opponent. 

“He was a lot more experienced than I thought he was, he was crafty in the ring,” O’Meley said.

“But I came ready and put my best foot forward, it’s what I trained hard for.” 

O’Meley, a robust and physically solid super-welterweight, said he had to resist the urge to “push through” and use his size to bully Howlett around the ring. 

“I showed up with my jab and the plan was to work off it, try not to push through too much and avoid walking into anything," he said. 

According to Team O’Meley manager Grant Howells, the boxer will have his next fight in June, with plans to fit five bouts in this year.  

O’Meley’s team have engaged the services of respected matchmaker Stuart Duncan who presently works with two world champions in Jeff Horn, who defeated Manny Pacquiao last year securing the WBO Welterweight World title, and current heavyweight world champion Joseph Parker.

The experienced Duncan had a high opinion of the 25-year-old boxer.

“The exciting thing about Troy is that there is still plenty of room for development as he is a long way from the finished product...in saying that, for him to have achieved six wins from six outings to date tells us that he has a bright future ahead,” Duncan said.

Toronto’s Blake Minto was crowned world champion after winning his title fight.