Cessnock Relay For Life
The 2019 Cessnock Relay For Life will be held on Saturday, October 12 from 10am to 10pm.
Relay For Life is a fundraiser for Cancer Councils research, support, advocacy, prevention and education programs.
Register your team at relayforlife.org.au/cessnock or contact Clint Ekert from the Cancer Council on 6572 5405 or email@example.com for more information.
Fundraisers in the lead-up to the Relay include:
- A $10,000 raffle (partnered with Cessnock Goannas rugby league club). Tickets are $100 each, with 300 tickets available. If all 300 tickets are sold, $10,000 goes to the Relay (a Cancer Council fundraiser), and $10,000 will go to the Goannas. Tickets will be on sale at the Goannas semi-final at Baddeley Park this Saturday, and also available at Balloon Worx in Vincent Street. The raffle will be drawn on Friday, September 27.
- Drag Queen Trivia with Timberlina at East Cessnock Bowling Club, Friday, September 20, 7pm-10pm. Tickets $20pp for tables of 10, available at huntertickets.com.
- Indoor markets at Kurri Kurri Golf Club, Sunday, September 15 from 10am-2pm. Hosted by Team Bella You.
Climate strike in Cessnock
Cessnock students will take part in the global strike for climate action on Friday, September 20.
The strike will be held at Turner Park from 11.30am to 1.30pm.
Planning meetings will be held at Cessnock Library on Wednesday, September 11 and 18 at 4.30pm.
While it is a student-led protest, all are welcome. Find out more at schoolstrike4climate.com/sept20.
Cessnock City Library's annual bargain book sale will start on September 17.
Ex-library items including books, music and DVDs will be for sale until September 27 or sold out. Read more here.
Car wash and barbecue
Central Rural Fire Brigade will host a car wash and barbecue at its South Avenue station from 8.30am this Saturday. Cost is $10 per car.
Cessnock Prostate Cancer Support Group
Cessnock Prostate Cancer Support Group meets at Cessnock Leagues Club on the fourth Thursday of the month.
The next meeting will be held on September 26, and as it is Prostate Cancer Awareness Month, the meeting will feature a DVD presentation that will give men an insight on the management and treatment options for prostate cancer, including what PSA staging means, questions to ask their doctor and much more.
Meetings start at 3pm; cost is free and all are welcome. Contact Rose on 4990 4554 or Barry on 0457 073 852 for more information.
Cessnock Breast Cancer Support Group
The Cessnock Breast Cancer Support Group meets on the first Wednesday of the month.
The October 2 meeting will be a dinner to celebrate Pink Month, at Kee Ho Restaurant in Cessnock at 6.30pm.
Anyone interested in attending is asked to RSVP to Katrina on 0422 978 254 by Monday, September 30.
The group was formed in 2006 to help any woman who has had a breast cancer diagnosis. It is made up of women who have been through, or who are still undergoing, the breast cancer journey.
Regular meetings are held at the medical centre at Cessnock Hospital, but sometimes social outings form the meeting, other times guest speakers are invited to address the group.
Contact Katrina on 0422 978 254 for more information.
Richmond Vale Railway Museum
The museum, located on Leggetts Drive, is open on the first three Sundays of each month, and school holiday Sundays from 9.30am. The first train ride leaves the station at 10am.
In addition to the historical displays at the museum, the site offers the following attractions:
- Unlimited full-sized train rides
- Miniature train rides
- Child-accessible signalling activity
- Historic films in the mining museum
- Picnic tables
- Souvenir shop
- Special events throughout the year (stay tuned to their Facebook page for more information).
The weekend of September 28 and 29 is this month's special event, as the museum celebrates its 40th anniversary with the Family Fun Fest. Along with the regular attractions, there will be model railway displays, a self-drive miniature Thomas the Tank Engine, face painting, craft displays and market stalls on the Saturday and Sunday.
- Do you have a community group, meeting or event you would like to promote? Email the details to firstname.lastname@example.org.