A local pool team has honoured the memory of its late assistant coach by taking out Grade 3 of the 2019 Cessnock-Kurri Kurri Pool Association competition.
The Kearsley Kikbutt pool team had a tough start to their debut season in the competition, with the sudden passing of their assistant coach Paul 'Jimpey' Janes just three weeks into the season.
Captain/coach Larrie Clarke said Jimpey's passing was a huge loss for the team.
"We soldiered on with the memory of one of Jimpey's predictions always in mind - with dedication we can make the top of Grade 3 in our first year," Clarke said.
And the rest is history, with Kearsley Kikbutt winning the Grade 3 grand final over the Railway Renegades on September 30.
The competition was played over eight months each Monday night at rotating hotels around the Cessnock-Kurri Kurri region.
Cessnock-Kurri Kurri Pool Association grand final results
- Grade 1: Railway Sleepers defeated Callie Red 8-5
- Grade 2 :Cri Cavaliers defeated Kearsley Krackers 8-7
- Grade 3 :Kearsley Kikbutt defeated Railway Renegades 8-7
- Grade 4: Station Masters defeated Bee Siding Station 8-5
- Grade 5: Cunning Stunts defeated Homeless K-Hunts 8-6
- Grade 6: WWC defeated Odd Ballz 8-4