Hunter cellar doors can welcome up to 50 patrons as restrictions ease

Open: Andrew Margan, pictured last year, said the Hunter Valley was currently looking lush and green. "We've been hurting badly and it would be lovely if people booked their holidays here." Picture: Max Mason Hubers
Open: Andrew Margan, pictured last year, said the Hunter Valley was currently looking lush and green. "We've been hurting badly and it would be lovely if people booked their holidays here." Picture: Max Mason Hubers

HUNTER cellar doors are booking up quickly for wine tastings over the Queen's Birthday Long Weekend, as restrictions are relaxed.

From June 1, they'll be able to offer tastings to up to 50 seated guests, without having to serve food.

The total number will still be limited by the one person per four square metre and the 1.5 metre social distancing rules.

Up to today, they'd been allowed up to 10 seated patrons, but had to serve tastings with food.

Vigneron Andrew Margan said "everyone around the place has been saying how much their phones have been ringing since regional travel has been allowed", a welcome sign after drought and fires.

"Bookings for next weekend in the valley seem to be massive, it appears everyone is ready to travel again," he said.

"People are not being encouraged to walk in, but being encouraged to book online and because there's COVID protocols you really have to sign off to say you don't have any symptoms of flu.

"What it's allowing us all to do is to be more organised and give our customers an even better experience."

This story Hunter cellar doors can welcome up to 50 patrons as restrictions ease first appeared on Newcastle Herald.