A man has been charged with murder over the death of a man who was hit by a four-wheel-drive in a Coalfields backyard in 2018.
Ewan Sams, 36, died out the back of the home on the corner of Edith and Chidgey streets at Cessnock late on the night of September 25.
The Newcastle Herald reported at the time that Mr Sams was struck by a four-wheel-drive and died of his injuries.
Strike Force Lirki was set up to investigate Mr Sams' death.
Police arrested Joshua Walker Smith, 34, outside Cessnock courthouse on Wednesday morning, where he was due to appear on a string of unrelated theft charges.
Mr Smith was taken to Cessnock Police Station and charged with murder on Wednesday afternoon, along with three counts of ongoing supply of a prohibited drug.
Police will allege in court Mr Smith drove a Nissan Patrol into the backyard of a Cessnock home and pinned Mr Sams between the vehicle and a shed, causing fatal injuries.
IN THE NEWS:
- Man charged in Hunter as police bust alleged international drug ring
- Cessnock District Hospital extends testing clinic for second time
- Milton Orkopoulos to remain behind bars amid fresh child abuse charges
- JobKeeper jobs won't all be kept: minister
- Former Islington corner shop a much loved creative space
- Herman Ese'ese keen for quick shot at redemption against Broncos
- Toohey's News, The Podcast Episode 14: Ashley Gordon
The pair are believed to have known each other.
Mr Smith faced Cessnock Local Court on Wednesday afternoon.
He was refused bail for his previous charges and he did not apply for bail in relation to the murder and drug supply counts.
Magistrate Andrew Miller adjourned all Mr Smith's charges to August 12.