Tarro man extradited from Queensland over alleged East Maitland tomahawk attack

Extradition, charges for man over alleged East Maitland tomahawk attack

A MAN will face court on Thursday as the third person charged over an alleged East Maitland tomahawk attack.

Police were called to Alliance Street in East Maitland on July 13 after five people arrived at a property and began arguing with its residents, a 28-year-old woman and a 35-year-old man.

"Police will allege in court the 28-year-old woman was assaulted and the 35-year-old man was struck several times with a tomahawk," police said in a statement.

The 35-year-old called police while the group left the scene, and was later taken to the John Hunter Hospital with back injuries.

He has since been released.

IN THE NEWS:

Officers have previously charged a 20-year-old woman and 18-year-old man in relation to the incident.

Both remain before the courts.

Detectives from Port Stephens travelled to the Sunshine Coast earlier this week, arresting a 23-year-old man with the assistance of Queensland police.

The man was taken to Maroochydore Magistrate's Court and police won the right to extradite the man to NSW. At Raymond Terrace police station on Wednesday he was charged with wound person with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and affray.

The Tarro man was refused bail to face court on Thursday.

Police said investigations remain ongoing. Anyone with information is urged to call 1800 333 000.

Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:

This story Extradition, charges for man over alleged East Maitland tomahawk attack first appeared on Newcastle Herald.