NSW Health will host walk-in vaccination clinics at Cessnock Hospital this Saturday and Sunday.
The clinic will be open to people aged 12 and over, and will run from 9am to 1pm both days, with Pfizer and AstraZeneca shots available.
Vaccination rates in the Cessnock LGA have climbed significantly in the three weeks since the city's first NSW Health walk-in clinic, with the double-dose rate up by 27.6 per cent in that time.
"It is great to see the significant increase in vaccination rates but we need to push the vaccination rates higher," he said.
Hunter Aboriginal medical service Awabakal Ltd will host a follow-up clinic for second doses at PCYC Cessnock on Wednesday, after administering over 400 doses of the vaccine on at their first clinic at the PCYC on September 29.
"With cases in the Hunter increasing, particularly in the Aboriginal community, we feel this clinic will give Cessnock a little more protection and peace of mind before the state opens up next month," Awabakal spokesperson Emma Levine said.
Awabakal continues to provide weekly vaccine clinics by appointment in Aberdare, in partnership with Mindaribba Aboriginal Land Council. Bookings can be made on 1300 174 908.
Another NSW Health walk-in clinic will be held at the Finding Yellow hall in Weston on Friday, October 29. It will be open to everyone aged 12 and over and will run from 10am to 4pm.
While Cessnock's vaccination rates have surged, COVID continues to linger in the community, with 81 new cases in the past week.
Hunter New England Health urges anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms such as fever, sore throat, cough or shortness of breath, to immediately get tested. Even people with mild symptoms, such as fatigue, new muscle aches or pains, headache, a change in taste or smell or a new runny nose, should arrange testing as quickly as possible.
Just over 2600 COVID tests were conducted in Cessnock in the seven days up to October 17.
New exposure sites announced this week include:
- Cessnock Convenience Store (26 Wollombi Road), Thursday, October 14 from 12.05pm to 12.25pm
- Bellbird Hotel, Wednesday, October 13 from 3.25pm to 4.30pm
- Laverty Pathology (275 Vincent Street, Cessnock), Monday, October 11 from 9.45am to 10am
- Priceline Pharmacy Kurri Kurri, Friday, October 8 from 9.10am to 9.20am
- Cessnock Courthouse (indoor public waiting areas), Wednesday, October 6 from 11.30am to 3.15pm
- Kurri Kurri Local Court, Tuesday, October 5 from 9.20am to 10am
- The Chemist Cessnock (52A Vincent Street), Tuesday, October 5 from 8.30am to 8.40am
Anyone who attended the following new venues listed at the specified dates and times is a casual contact (unless they have been contacted by NSW Health as close contacts) and must get tested and isolate until a negative test result is received.
Local testing sites include:
- Cessnock Hospital drive-thru clinic - Monday to Friday 8am-4.30pm and weekends 8am-12pm. Bookings essential on 4964 7497.
- Laverty Pathology Cessnock drive-thru clinic (Mount View Road) - Monday to Friday 7.30am-3pm, Saturday 7.30am-12.30pm.