Descendants of PJ O’Neill are invited to a family reunion at Dixon Park, Merewether, on October 22.
The O’Neill family arrived in Maitland in 1844. They came from County Carlow in Ireland, and have many, many descendants now in the Hunter and around Australia.
The father of the clan, Patrick John O’Neill, is one of the earliest burials at the Catholic Cemetery at Lochinvar, along with his wife, Esther O’Brien.
Patrick and Esther brought seven children with them, ranging in age from 19 to one.
One of these children was also named Patrick John, who lived at Stanhope before he settled in Cessnock and began to cultivate vineyards (where Desmond Street is situated today).
He built the old wine shop on Wollombi Road in 1878. He died on this property in 1918, age 87 and was buried at Nulkaba.
Patrick John O’Neill’s son, Patrick James O’Neill built the new wine shop next door in 1917, which was eventually renovated when taken over by the Hunter Valley Wine Society.
It is now home to Daniel’s Restaurant.
Other names also related to this family are Hogan, Ryan, Harrigan, Mooney, Hickey, Kerr, Sweetman, Boland, Smith, Cruckshank, Enright and Love.
The reunion will start at 11am. Bring your lunch, seating and any memorabilia or photos.
Find ‘Descendants of PJ O’Neill’ on Facebook, or RSVP to Janelle on 0402 667 802 or email@example.com, or Cathy on 6582 1450 or 0413 552 696.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.