Since 1977, Awabakal has been a trusted Newcastle Aboriginal service provider, one of the largest in NSW, offering health care, aged care and family services to anyone in its region who needs it.
Now with the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) rolling out, Awabakal has seized the opportunity to expand its services to include disability to ensure it meets demand.
This advertising feature is sponsored by the following business. Click the link to learn more:
Awabakal is a registered NDIS provider, and started delivering disability services in March this year.
“Awabakal could see there was a need for culturally appropriate services for people with disability and we knew we could engage the right people to help improve NDIS participants’ lives,” business manager Scott Adams said.
“Awabakal already had an existing high quality business model to work from so its NDIS transition was quite smooth.”
Awabakal can provide:
- Assistance with self-care activities
- Assistance to access community, social and recreational activities
- House and yard cleaning, maintenance and other household activities
- Transport assistance
- Coordination of supports and support connection
- Therapy services and clinical services
“If you have an approved NDIS plan or need assistance with your application, we can help,” Scott said.
Awabakal also have several groups – a mum and bub’s group, a men’s group, an elders group and within them, participants can take part in a variety of cultural activities.
The next steps for Awabakal is to increase awareness around its culturally appropriate disability services so they can work towards improving more and more lives.
Awabakal are holding free NDIS information sessions for participants on the following days:
- 14th June, 10am – 12pm at the Awabakal community office at 64 Hannell St Wickham,
- 14th June, 2pm – 4pm at the Awabakal community clinic at 15 Kelton St Cardiff,
- 6th August, 10am - 3pm at the Awabakal community clinic at 88 Port Stephens St Raymond Terrace.
For more info about Awabakal’s NDIS services, visit www.awabakal.org.