With the Cessnock Relay For Life drawing closer, the 11th iteration of the annual event is shaping up to be quite the auspicious milestone.
This year, it is expected that the funds raised over the 11-year life of the event will reach $1 million dollars.
Marlie Caban, co-chair of Cessnock Relay for Life, said the popular event had found a special place in the hearts of Cessnock residents.
“It gives everyone an outlet where we can share the memories of our loved-ones lost, and show people going through it that they aren’t alone,” she said.
This year, the Cessnock Relay committee is lead by Marlie and Steph Eckert, both being driven by the loss of family members.
”The statistics show that one in two men and one in three women will be diagnosed with cancer,” Ms Eckert said. “The numbers are scary, but we’re fighting back against it.
The event helps fund the Cancer Council’s Free Transport To Treatment scheme that was launched in 2017.
Cancer Council community relations coordinator Clint Eckert said the demand for the service had far surpassed estimates.
“Initial reports suggested we would see around 400 passengers each year use our service, but this has jumped to over 650 last year alone,” he said.
“This is a service that is ensuring a real difference is made in the lives of people living with cancer in the Cessnock area.”
The 2018 Relay For Life will be held on Saturday, 20 October at Baddeley Park. Register at relayforlife.org.au/cessnock.