Man shot dead in 'targeted' Qld attack

A 31-year-old man has been shot dead in a confrontation near a suburban Queensland playground.
A 31-year-old man has been shot dead in a confrontation near a suburban Queensland playground.

Three people have been charged with murder after a man was shot dead in a "targeted attack" near a suburban playground in southeast Queensland.

Police allege that around 5pm on Tuesday two groups arranged to meet on Baden Jones Way at North Booval in relation to a dispute over property.

A fight broke out between the group of nine males, some armed with baseball bats and one with a firearm.

Detective Inspector Heath McQueen said the situation quickly escalated from a minor dispute to shots being fired.

A 31-year-old Calamvale man died at the Ipswich Hospital a short time later after suffering two gunshot wounds while four others were taken to hospital, one with critical head injuries.

"I'd like to reassure the community that this is a targeted attack and these two groups of persons are known to each other and police, and that the community does not need to be concerned for their ongoing safety" Det Insp McQueen told reporters on Wednesday.

"We have people cooperating, some people aren't cooperating so hopefully as the day evolves we'll be able to put some more of the pieces together in this puzzle," he said.

Det Insp McQueen would not confirm whether the groups had been doing a drug or weapons deal.

"It's all part of our investigation at the moment as to what actual property that was, but I can confirm that it was a dispute over property, and they had pre-arranged to meet," he said.

On Wednesday evening detectives charged a 28-year-old Logan man, a 24-year-old North Booval man and a 16-year-old Riverview boy with one count of murder and two counts of grievous bodily harm.

All three will appear in Ipswich courts on Thursday.

A 29-year-old Heritage Park man remains in the Princess Alexandra Hospital with critical head injuries.

Australian Associated Press